Children are the Future


Children see the entire world in a different way than adults. The innocence of discovery is something we all enjoyed. I often wonder, had people not interjected certain ideas into my mind at certain times, where would my childlike mind had lead me? So here's to nostalgia, to innocence, and the people that will become our future.


An Apple A Day


Living a healthy life is important, and many people take their concerns with eating right or losing weight to unhealthy extremes. This month, I'll be talking about eating habits, sharing some of my favorite recipes, and focusing on healthy choices.

Legends of Africa


One thing I've noticed during my years attending predominately white schools and having circles of friends that are more diverse, is that the major factor in racism and prejudice is ignorance. There is a lot about black culture that many non-blacks just don't know. Often this lack of awareness rears its head in the form of ignorant assumptions and awkward questions. The Legends of Africa series touches on topics that may be extremely familiar to blacks, but may not be familiar to non-blacks.

Religion & Theology


I've always been interested in Religion & Theology. As I child, I questioned everything. I wanted to know why this denomination was different from that denomination. I wanted to know how Christianity differed from Islam, and how they differed from Buddhism, etc. I found that as I studied with the faith of a believer and the open mind of scientist, the world of religion started to make more sense and I was able to form beliefs that I don't question. April 2015 is dedicated to my journey to those beliefs.

Circus of Words Don't Worry, Be Happy

Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Don't Worry, Be Happy

Don't Worry, Be Happy

I was listening to some people complain a while ago and for some of the things they were complaining about, I couldn't help but think to myself "Oh, please! Get over yourself!"  Over time, if you let yourself, you will come to realize a lot of things aren't worth getting bothered by. Below are some of the things that use to rile me up, that I couldn't care less about now. There are ALOT more, but I'll keep it short. I may do a follow up later.

The N Word
Growing up in SC schools, I received my fair share of insults in which the best my opponent could come up with was the infamous N word. Admittedly, the first time a white classmate of mine called me the N word, I didn't  know what it meant so I obviously wasn't offended. The next few times, however, whoa buddy. I think my head might have started spinning and steam probably rose from ears. That might have been the quickest way to ruffle my feathers in grade school. At some point in high school, I realized the obvious: it's just a word. What makes calling me the N word any worse than calling me an idiot or ugly or whatever insult have you? Why did I get upset if someone called me the N word, but I was completely unfazed by other name calling? It was simply because I was giving that word power. When a person chooses to call me the N word, it doesn't do a thing to me. All it does is show that they're filled with hate... Suddenly the question became, why should I care what you call me?

Assumed Stupidity

For some reason people often assume that I'm of below average intelligence (or maybe it's "smart" people assuming I'm of average intelligence...). I don't know if it's the way I carry myself, or a product of my appearance, but it used to drive me up the wall. It wasn't until I was much older that I realized, this too is a reflection of the person, not of me. When people don't understand things, they get frustrated. Different people respond to frustration differently, and one of those responses is to become indignant. Often in these situations, we see ourselves as right and the other person as wrong (simply because we have no clue what the other person is talking about). Thus, our demeanor may say "you idiot, this is the right way!" I probably give this same vibe off to others often without knowing that I'm doing so, especially since I tend to be on a different page than the masses... At the end of the day, that doesn't change what I know, or any of my opportunities in the future. So,  why should miscommunication bother me? I learned to take a step back, re-evaluate, and re-explain.

Borderline-Racist Comments

I'll never forget the moment I thought I was going to choke a girl in my high school. We were "friends" and having a "friendly" conversation about her first trip to Atlanta. She gets to the point in the story where she and her family took the subway and remarks "We were the only white people there. I was so scared!" -_- Off the bat, I'm angry because she clearly thinks that something is wrong with non-whites, that we're all gang bangers or something. Then I'm angry because she clearly thinks that out of all the other people in the subway, these "hood"/"gang-banger" non-whites are going to ignore each other and focus their attention on the white family (because white people are always the center of attention, right?). And then I go over the edge, that she had the balls to say this in front of me--was she that bold that she didn't care? She forgot I wasn't white? She thought I was an Uncle Tom and wouldn't care? Oh man was I contemplating strangling this girl on the spot; it might have been worse than calling me the N word. And then it dawned on me. I spent my whole life in predominately white schools, in predominately white classes, and I hated almost every minute of it. It was awkward learning about slavery from a white teacher in a class full of white kids, especially in the south. It was awkward being the only person in the class who didn't watch whatever they were talking about or listen to the radio station they were talking about. It was awkward that I was expected to answer for all the black people and was asked questions like "why can't black people swim?" or "ask her, she's black obviously she listens to 2pac." Quite frankly, the only reason I'm not weirded out when I walk into a room full of white people is because I've been  conditioned to that setting and I've become desensitized to the situation. So why should I be mad at her lack of conditioning?

Being Told I Look Young 

and That I'll Love It When I'm Older

People are forever telling me that I look about 12, even though I'm only a few weeks shy of 25. They all (and I mean every single one of them) make sure to "inform" me that I'll "be thankful when I'm old and still look young." Yes, yes I know that. If I didn't know it the first time someone said it, I certainly do now, a bazillion comments later. What really made me mad was that they assumed I didn't like looking young. Quite frankly it didn't bother me until I graduated from undergrad. Who doesn't want to be able to get the child's discount at a restaurant or movie and  be able to show proper ID to enter the bar? Of course once I graduated school, it became awkward that all the guys I meet think I'm a 15 year old child so the chances of a guy my own age asking me out is fairly slim... Such is life: there are pros an cons to everything. It use to infuriate me that people couldn't see that and that they were making assumptions about me. But the fact of the matter is, people will be people. That's what they do: assume and talk to hear themselves talk. There's no use in losing sleep over something so insignificant.


Next time you find yourself angry, breathe, and think about it a while. Is it really that serious? Are they harming you physically? Will their comment stop you from doing what you want to do (ie a bank saying "I won't lend you money because...." vs. a regular person saying "I don't like you because...")? Sometimes it takes an effort to be happy, the start is cutting out the foolishness. Life is so much easier when you don't let every little things offended you.





Shiree Hughes
Eillya-Marí Kocumba

I love to write. Sometimes its graceful and classic--like a trapeze act--or bold and brave--like a lion tamer--perhaps a little humorous--like a clown. This is my circus of words.

Right now, my blog is mostly poetry (which naturally covers a wide range of topics). Everyone says great blogs have a niche, a specific topic they hone in to write about. I'm still working that out, I guess. In the mean time, you can use the menu in archive page to narrow down the topics you wish to see.

Welcome to the site. Feel free to comment and I hope you enjoy.

categories

30 before 30 A for Active Listening ABCs of Improvement About Me Acrostic Poetry Anger AnimalActs Animals Art Awareness BHM 2017 BHM2016 Black Greek Letter Organizations Black History Black History Month Challenge BlackConcepts Book Review Browse By Topic Business and Entrepenuership Celebrations Challenges Children and Innocence Christmas Clarity Pyramid Poetry Code Poetry Colors Comfort Compound Word Verse Poetry Computer Nerd Concrete Poetry Curiosity Deceit Decisions Dreams Education End of Days Etheree Poetry Faith and Belief Family Fantasy Fear and Horror Fire Flash Fiction Flying FlyingTrapeze Food Food For Thought Forgiveness Friendship Girl Talk Greed Haiku Poetry Hair Halloween He Is Risen Health Holidays Ideas Image Issues of Today Jewelry Judging JugglingClowns Katauta Poetry Kyrielle Poetry Lauranelle Poetry Legends Myths and Folklore Legends of Africa Love March of Dimes More on Poetry Movies and Shows Music Nature Nostalgia Nove Otto Poetry Oasis Octain Poetry Ode Opinion Ottava Rima Poetry Palindrome Poetry Peace People Perseverance Personality Traits Pirates Politics Preview Pride Race in America Religion/Theology Ring 1: Poetry Ring 2: Prose Ring 3: Blog Rondelet Poetry SciFi Season 1 Sedoka Poetry Self-Worth/Inner-Strength Short Story Simple Rhyme Sorrow Sports Stars Sunday vs. Sabbath Teasers Time Tribute Trinet Poetry Triquain Poetry Unity Untitled Book 1 Untitled Book 2 Villanelle Poetry Water Whispers of War Words of Wisdom World AIDS Day Wrapped Refrain Poetry Writing Issues