Children are the Future


Children see the entire world in a different way than adults. The innocence of discovery is something we all enjoyed. I often wonder, had people not interjected certain ideas into my mind at certain times, where would my childlike mind had lead me? So here's to nostalgia, to innocence, and the people that will become our future.


An Apple A Day


Living a healthy life is important, and many people take their concerns with eating right or losing weight to unhealthy extremes. This month, I'll be talking about eating habits, sharing some of my favorite recipes, and focusing on healthy choices.

Legends of Africa


One thing I've noticed during my years attending predominately white schools and having circles of friends that are more diverse, is that the major factor in racism and prejudice is ignorance. There is a lot about black culture that many non-blacks just don't know. Often this lack of awareness rears its head in the form of ignorant assumptions and awkward questions. The Legends of Africa series touches on topics that may be extremely familiar to blacks, but may not be familiar to non-blacks.

Religion & Theology


I've always been interested in Religion & Theology. As I child, I questioned everything. I wanted to know why this denomination was different from that denomination. I wanted to know how Christianity differed from Islam, and how they differed from Buddhism, etc. I found that as I studied with the faith of a believer and the open mind of scientist, the world of religion started to make more sense and I was able to form beliefs that I don't question. April 2015 is dedicated to my journey to those beliefs.

Circus of Words Be You, Do You, Love You

Friday, December 06, 2013

Be You, Do You, Love You

Be You, Do You, Love You

I woke up thinking, why am I here?
I woke up thinking, I must be crazy...
And then it dawned on me: I woke up.

It's strange how little things, simple, seemingly inconsequential things, can be so powerful. 

There was a time when I worried--rather I felt like I needed to prove myself.  The funny thing was that I didn't fully understand my own actions, or worry. I had no desire to be valedictorian or attend Harvard. Similarly, I had no desire to be "hood." Yet, I wanted it to not be a shock that I was the one who threw off the curve (which happened a lot more often than my classmates realized--*insert evil laughter*) or have people saying to me "well they just considered you because of affirmative action." Pardon the conceit, but I knew I was smart--I knew I deserved every A and every scholarship I received. I knew it, but I wanted everyone else to know it. So I was determined to be great at everything--great above and beyond expectation. Mangled in that storm was the desire to not be the white sheep at the black sheep party. I didn't want to be the out of the loop, not "black enough" oddball, who people said didn't count because I wasn't from where they were from, and I wasn't dark enough to stand out in the pictures, and I didn't always like what they liked. Somewhere in the confusion, I found myself.

I was listening to Brittney Spears, Jessica Simpson, et. al, when I hung out with my classmates and I was going to the movies with those friends to see Phantom of the Opera and Finding Neverland. At the same time I'm watching Friday, Barbershop, and Soul Food and listening to 112, Jodeci, Snoop Dogg (pardon: Snoop Lion). I was reading the books the teacher assigned, but I was also reading Toni Morrison, Alice Walker, Maya Angelou, Jean Toomer, Countee Cullen... But I was mad. I was pissed off that I couldn't just be there without people having something to say. I was angry that people seemed to think these things polar opposites, two ends of a Black and White spectrum that was missing the gray in the middle. Why should I have to do the most to be both intelligent by my own right, not a sell out, and culturally aware? Every conversation was a reminder of what people expected of me in contrast to who I really was.

Sometimes, I woke up thinking, why bother?

Interestingly enough, I found that I find interesting things in all genres. My playlist ranges from classical to gangsta rap, from country to neo-soul, from reggaeton to rock. My DVD collection spans from Disney to Underworld, from LOTR to Mean Girls, from Tyler Perry to Sex in the City, from Anime to the Fast and the Furious. Let's not even venture in to the span of books (to many of those to process). That's who I always was--in a way I was searching for balance, but in another way, I was just doing what I wanted to do. What made me angry was people not understanding me--assuming I should choose. Then I came to resent people in general--sometimes I still do.

I'm hard on people; I'm often told I have no sympathy and that I don't know what it's like. They're right; I don't have sympathy--I have empathy. I've been at that point where you just want to stop and sit, press pause and disappear. Unfortunately, I also know that no one can move you but you. And I know, it was the little things that made me happy. Knowing that I was alive. Seeing the sun after a rainy day. Watching baby squirrels. Being able to stand close to hummingbird. A few good friends. Smiles from strangers. Random acts of kindness. I realized that when I focused on the good things and when I focused on doing positive things--none of the other stuff mattered.

I read these articles about youth committing suicide and bullying--yes a part of me is saying "Man up!" but another part is crying for them. I just want to say you don't have to walk into walls; you can take a left or a right--heck you can make a U-turn if you want. There will always be bad things, but there will always be good things as well. Find something good and enjoy it. If you can't find it, make it (I guarantee there's someone else looking for some good and fun too)!


Shiree Hughes
Eillya-Marí Kocumba

I love to write. Sometimes its graceful and classic--like a trapeze act--or bold and brave--like a lion tamer--perhaps a little humorous--like a clown. This is my circus of words.

Right now, my blog is mostly poetry (which naturally covers a wide range of topics). Everyone says great blogs have a niche, a specific topic they hone in to write about. I'm still working that out, I guess. In the mean time, you can use the menu in archive page to narrow down the topics you wish to see.

Welcome to the site. Feel free to comment and I hope you enjoy.

categories

30 before 30 A for Active Listening ABCs of Improvement About Me Acrostic Poetry Anger AnimalActs Animals Art Awareness BHM 2017 BHM2016 Black Greek Letter Organizations Black History Black History Month Challenge BlackConcepts Book Review Browse By Topic Business and Entrepenuership Celebrations Challenges Children and Innocence Christmas Clarity Pyramid Poetry Code Poetry Colors Comfort Compound Word Verse Poetry Computer Nerd Concrete Poetry Curiosity Deceit Decisions Dreams Education End of Days Etheree Poetry Faith and Belief Family Fantasy Fear and Horror Fire Flash Fiction Flying FlyingTrapeze Food Food For Thought Forgiveness Friendship Girl Talk Greed Haiku Poetry Hair Halloween He Is Risen Health Holidays Ideas Image Issues of Today Jewelry Judging JugglingClowns Katauta Poetry Kyrielle Poetry Lauranelle Poetry Legends Myths and Folklore Legends of Africa Love March of Dimes More on Poetry Movies and Shows Music Nature Nostalgia Nove Otto Poetry Oasis Octain Poetry Ode Opinion Ottava Rima Poetry Palindrome Poetry Peace People Perseverance Personality Traits Pirates Politics Preview Pride Race in America Religion/Theology Ring 1: Poetry Ring 2: Prose Ring 3: Blog Rondelet Poetry SciFi Season 1 Sedoka Poetry Self-Worth/Inner-Strength Short Story Simple Rhyme Sorrow Sports Stars Sunday vs. Sabbath Teasers Time Tribute Trinet Poetry Triquain Poetry Unity Untitled Book 1 Untitled Book 2 Villanelle Poetry Water Whispers of War Words of Wisdom World AIDS Day Wrapped Refrain Poetry Writing Issues