Children are the Future


Children see the entire world in a different way than adults. The innocence of discovery is something we all enjoyed. I often wonder, had people not interjected certain ideas into my mind at certain times, where would my childlike mind had lead me? So here's to nostalgia, to innocence, and the people that will become our future.


An Apple A Day


Living a healthy life is important, and many people take their concerns with eating right or losing weight to unhealthy extremes. This month, I'll be talking about eating habits, sharing some of my favorite recipes, and focusing on healthy choices.

Legends of Africa


One thing I've noticed during my years attending predominately white schools and having circles of friends that are more diverse, is that the major factor in racism and prejudice is ignorance. There is a lot about black culture that many non-blacks just don't know. Often this lack of awareness rears its head in the form of ignorant assumptions and awkward questions. The Legends of Africa series touches on topics that may be extremely familiar to blacks, but may not be familiar to non-blacks.

Religion & Theology


I've always been interested in Religion & Theology. As I child, I questioned everything. I wanted to know why this denomination was different from that denomination. I wanted to know how Christianity differed from Islam, and how they differed from Buddhism, etc. I found that as I studied with the faith of a believer and the open mind of scientist, the world of religion started to make more sense and I was able to form beliefs that I don't question. April 2015 is dedicated to my journey to those beliefs.

Circus of Words Acrostic Poetry

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Acrostic Poetry

Acrostic Poetry


Acrostics are one of the more commonly known poetry types--I was taught to write on of these in pre-school. For specific details on how they are written, see [Shadow Poetry], [Young Writers], or [Poets.org].

Amazingly this form of poetry dates all the way back to at least biblical times. Psalms 9, 10, 25, 34, 37, 111, 112, 119, and 145, part of Lamentations, as well as Proverbs 31:10-31 are acrostics (in Hebrew of course). More advanced versions of the acrostic can be produced by adding hidden words else where in the poem as well, such as at the end of the line or in the middle of the line. A particularly complex example can be seen in "Behold, O God!" by William Browne.

My Tips, Tricks, & Opinions


Feel free to comment below with your opinions and/or questions about this style.

Achieve the Unique

The coolest part of acrostic poems is the ability to hide messages within a message. Playing around with where the message is contained, doubling messages (such as repeated a word or phrase via both the first and last letters of a line) can be both fun and rewarding. Using more complex structures allows for more intricacy and deeper meanings in your poems.

But Lookout For...

The tricky part of acrostic poems--for me of course--is making sure the poem doesn't sound or feel juvenile. Often I find myself needing to use unnecessary words to maintain the structure or breaking lines at awkward places to ensure the next line starts with the correct word. It's probably best to stay away from words that contain letters which are hard to find at the beginning of words (like X). Including letters like this make it difficult to maintain the natural flow of the poem.

Why I Like It

Acrostic poems remind me of my childhood. The combination of their simplicity mixed with the possibilities for more complex poems represents the journey of growth in poetry to me. This translates in to the deeper meaning of the poem. I also love seeing people's reactions when they realize (usually they have to be told) that there is a message or a word spelled out within the poem. It's like a secret or a present for the readers who know to look.

Examples


Simple Example:

Fun
June 5, 2014
Future events waiting for
Us to explore
Non-stop, never-ending joy


Alphabetical Acrostic Example

A Thought
October 28, 2005
Above all things in the world,
Beneath the hardships and pains of a girl,
Caress the tears that fall aside
Deep in the craters of a hard life.
Earn every step that you take, because
     Frauds only add to the heartbreak--
     Granted, there are no shortcuts--
Handle things with heart and soul, for
Idle minds never reach their goal.
     Justice waits for those it seeks,
     Knee-deep in the pressures of each week.
          Love the speckled wonders of the sky,
          Mirror their glitter in your eye--
Notice the things around you, and
Openly confess the things you do.
     Persevere when all is lost,
Quitters are left with only cost
          Remember me, my fae, my struggles, my fears
     Sing softly into my listening ears,
          Tell me your secrets, joys and pains
Understand my need to break free of these chains.
Value me, no matter the cause
     Without question, without thought or pause.
          X-rays of feelings will emerge
               Yearning hate and fear to surge
                    Zealously crying out their soft dirge.


Recently Posted


Ree Hughes
Eillya-Marí Kocumba

I love to write. Sometimes its graceful and classic--like a trapeze act--or bold and brave--like a lion tamer--perhaps a little humorous--like a clown. This is my circus of words.

Right now, my blog is mostly poetry (which naturally covers a wide range of topics). Everyone says great blogs have a niche, a specific topic they hone in to write about. I'm still working that out, I guess. In the mean time, you can use the menu in archive page to narrow down the topics you wish to see.

Welcome to the site. Feel free to comment and I hope you enjoy.

categories

30 before 30 A for Active Listening ABCs of Improvement About Me Acrostic Poetry Anger AnimalActs Animals Art Awareness BHM 2017 BHM2016 Black Greek Letter Organizations Black History Black History Month Challenge BlackConcepts Book Review Browse By Topic Business and Entrepenuership Celebrations Challenges Children and Innocence Christmas Clarity Pyramid Poetry Code Poetry Colors Comfort Compound Word Verse Poetry Computer Nerd Concrete Poetry Curiosity Deceit Decisions Dreams Education End of Days Etheree Poetry Faith and Belief Family Fantasy Fear and Horror Fire Flash Fiction Flying FlyingTrapeze Food Food For Thought Forgiveness Friendship Girl Talk Greed Haiku Poetry Hair Halloween He Is Risen Health Holidays Ideas Image Issues of Today Jewelry Judging JugglingClowns Katauta Poetry Kyrielle Poetry Lauranelle Poetry Legends Myths and Folklore Legends of Africa Love March of Dimes More on Poetry Movies and Shows Music Nature Nostalgia Nove Otto Poetry Oasis Octain Poetry Ode Opinion Ottava Rima Poetry Palindrome Poetry Peace People Perseverance Personality Traits Pirates Politics Preview Pride Race in America Religion/Theology Ring 1: Poetry Ring 2: Prose Ring 3: Blog Rondelet Poetry SciFi Season 1 Sedoka Poetry Self-Worth/Inner-Strength Short Story Simple Rhyme Sorrow Sports Stars Sunday vs. Sabbath Teasers Time Tribute Trinet Poetry Triquain Poetry Unity Untitled Book 1 Untitled Book 2 Villanelle Poetry Water Whispers of War Words of Wisdom World AIDS Day Wrapped Refrain Poetry Writing Issues