Children are the Future


Children see the entire world in a different way than adults. The innocence of discovery is something we all enjoyed. I often wonder, had people not interjected certain ideas into my mind at certain times, where would my childlike mind had lead me? So here's to nostalgia, to innocence, and the people that will become our future.


An Apple A Day


Living a healthy life is important, and many people take their concerns with eating right or losing weight to unhealthy extremes. This month, I'll be talking about eating habits, sharing some of my favorite recipes, and focusing on healthy choices.

Legends of Africa


One thing I've noticed during my years attending predominately white schools and having circles of friends that are more diverse, is that the major factor in racism and prejudice is ignorance. There is a lot about black culture that many non-blacks just don't know. Often this lack of awareness rears its head in the form of ignorant assumptions and awkward questions. The Legends of Africa series touches on topics that may be extremely familiar to blacks, but may not be familiar to non-blacks.

Religion & Theology


I've always been interested in Religion & Theology. As I child, I questioned everything. I wanted to know why this denomination was different from that denomination. I wanted to know how Christianity differed from Islam, and how they differed from Buddhism, etc. I found that as I studied with the faith of a believer and the open mind of scientist, the world of religion started to make more sense and I was able to form beliefs that I don't question. April 2015 is dedicated to my journey to those beliefs.

Circus of Words 'Tis The Season

Saturday, December 22, 2012

'Tis The Season

'Tis The Season

Jesus is the reason for the season.

As a child, Christmas = presents. Sure I did the Christmas play at church and said my speech. But I left cookies and milk out for Santa and I wrote my wish list for Santa (and the family). You know, its strange how mangled together the celebration of Jesus' birth and Santa's gift giving is. When I was younger (probably middle school aged) I tried to separate the traditions in my head.

It seemed to me that the idea of placing a star (or an angel) on the top of a tree came from the biblical passages about the birth of Christ. These would symbolize the angel and the star that guided the wise men, perhaps. Naturally the notion of gift exchange would fall under the lore of Santa Claus--though a person at my church did try to convince me that it was from the wise men bringing Jesus gifts.  I think that's a bit of a stretch. A lot of other things were left in question... Why decorate your yard with lights? Why pine and holly? Green and Red?

A lot of people thought my questions were dumb. Why did it matter what the answer was, they wanted to know. Well, if karma stays true (and I'm sure it will), if I ever have a child, I know they'll ask the same questions. What's more, I'd be responsible for shaping them spiritually and have to answer! Some people think its harmless to tell children about Santa, as long as they know the real reason for the season. Other people think its horrible and for this reason elementary schools now have strict rules on what can be mentioned about the holidays. In fact I'm not sure you're allowed to say Merry Christmas as a teacher--it's politically incorrect. -_- And of course, I just want to know!!!

Leave it to me to start asking the preacher "the worst" questions. I mean, how is it that Christianity only has 2 holidays and both "coincidently" land on the exact same day as a pagan holiday? No one wants to answer that one, huh?

If you do some research, one of the age old questions is just this: Was Jesus actually born on Dec. 25? Its hard to cite a reliable source with an answer on this, but a simple glance through materials will show more people believe He was not born on Dec. 25 than do. After all, if you look at a map, Bethlehem is roughly along the same latitude as South Carolina and Georgia. If you think about it, the weather could have been anywhere from the mid 20's/low 30's to the upper 50's in December (if you check weather.com's forecast for this Christmas the high is 55). While 55 isn't so bad, I'm sure it dipped into the upper 30's at night. That's not really good travel weather when you're riding camels and donkeys... Its not really good weather to be laying out in a field shepherding a flock either... We're talking BC time period, when people died from the common cold!

Well I'm sure Jesus was born, but honestly, I wouldn't bet much on Him being born on Dec. 25.

In the Bible, Jesus never talks about His birth... Throughout the Old Testament, God explains exactly what the Hebrews are supposed to (and not supposed to) do. Jesus clearly celebrates the passover with disciples. He talks about believing in Him for everlasting life... He never says "celebrate My birth!" No where in the New Testament does anyone tell us to create a holiday from His birth. Since the disciples didn't start the tradition (in which case the New Testament would mention it), I'm inclined to believe this is something the early church came up with on its own and is a little fudged in terms of detail.

The way I see it, the early Christians, under persecution from Rome, were sitting around chatting and someone said "Hey! We should celebrate the birth of our savior! That was life changing!" Then someone agreed and from there a debate began about what day He was actually born. This was followed by someone saying "let's just celebrate it on the 25th of December. Then we can blend in with the pagan holiday while praising our Lord without being detected by the Romans!" (of course they would have been on a different calendar so the proposed date would have been Dec. 25th's equivalent). Or maybe they picked a date close to it (somewhere in between Hanukkah and the pagan winter festivities) and the two holidays (Christmas and the winter festivities) just became absorbed into each other. As time has passed, I believe it's become more and more entangled with the pagan holiday traditions until now it's quite hard to separate. Think about it, there is no other name that delineates Santa's holiday from Jesus' holiday. Christmas encompasses both...

So, Jesus may not actually be the reason for the season...

Can't say for sure what happened, but food for thought: What are we celebrating? Why are we celebrating it? Does God want us to/Does it matter if it's actually Jesus' birthday?
Shiree Hughes
Eillya-Marí Kocumba

I love to write. Sometimes its graceful and classic--like a trapeze act--or bold and brave--like a lion tamer--perhaps a little humorous--like a clown. This is my circus of words.

Right now, my blog is mostly poetry (which naturally covers a wide range of topics). Everyone says great blogs have a niche, a specific topic they hone in to write about. I'm still working that out, I guess. In the mean time, you can use the menu in archive page to narrow down the topics you wish to see.

Welcome to the site. Feel free to comment and I hope you enjoy.

categories

30 before 30 A for Active Listening ABCs of Improvement About Me Acrostic Poetry Anger AnimalActs Animals Art Awareness BHM 2017 BHM2016 Black Greek Letter Organizations Black History Black History Month Challenge BlackConcepts Book Review Browse By Topic Business and Entrepenuership Celebrations Challenges Children and Innocence Christmas Clarity Pyramid Poetry Code Poetry Colors Comfort Compound Word Verse Poetry Computer Nerd Concrete Poetry Curiosity Deceit Decisions Dreams Education End of Days Etheree Poetry Faith and Belief Family Fantasy Fear and Horror Fire Flash Fiction Flying FlyingTrapeze Food Food For Thought Forgiveness Friendship Girl Talk Greed Haiku Poetry Hair Halloween He Is Risen Health Holidays Ideas Image Issues of Today Jewelry Judging JugglingClowns Katauta Poetry Kyrielle Poetry Lauranelle Poetry Legends Myths and Folklore Legends of Africa Love March of Dimes More on Poetry Movies and Shows Music Nature Nostalgia Nove Otto Poetry Oasis Octain Poetry Ode Opinion Ottava Rima Poetry Palindrome Poetry Peace People Perseverance Personality Traits Pirates Politics Preview Pride Race in America Religion/Theology Ring 1: Poetry Ring 2: Prose Ring 3: Blog Rondelet Poetry SciFi Season 1 Sedoka Poetry Self-Worth/Inner-Strength Short Story Simple Rhyme Sorrow Sports Stars Sunday vs. Sabbath Teasers Time Tribute Trinet Poetry Triquain Poetry Unity Untitled Book 1 Untitled Book 2 Villanelle Poetry Water Whispers of War Words of Wisdom World AIDS Day Wrapped Refrain Poetry Writing Issues