Children are the Future


Children see the entire world in a different way than adults. The innocence of discovery is something we all enjoyed. I often wonder, had people not interjected certain ideas into my mind at certain times, where would my childlike mind had lead me? So here's to nostalgia, to innocence, and the people that will become our future.


An Apple A Day


Living a healthy life is important, and many people take their concerns with eating right or losing weight to unhealthy extremes. This month, I'll be talking about eating habits, sharing some of my favorite recipes, and focusing on healthy choices.

Legends of Africa


One thing I've noticed during my years attending predominately white schools and having circles of friends that are more diverse, is that the major factor in racism and prejudice is ignorance. There is a lot about black culture that many non-blacks just don't know. Often this lack of awareness rears its head in the form of ignorant assumptions and awkward questions. The Legends of Africa series touches on topics that may be extremely familiar to blacks, but may not be familiar to non-blacks.

Religion & Theology


I've always been interested in Religion & Theology. As I child, I questioned everything. I wanted to know why this denomination was different from that denomination. I wanted to know how Christianity differed from Islam, and how they differed from Buddhism, etc. I found that as I studied with the faith of a believer and the open mind of scientist, the world of religion started to make more sense and I was able to form beliefs that I don't question. April 2015 is dedicated to my journey to those beliefs.

Circus of Words Dreaming of Purple

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Dreaming of Purple

Dreaming of Purple


An Excerpt from Untitled Book 1


Last night, I found myself lost in a sea of people--angry people--and before them, a simple and plain looking woman. She wore a white blouse and a dark skirt whose hem drug against the wooden floor of her plateau. The clothes--along with her dark hair, swirled into a tight behind at the nape of her neck--  was simple, plain and conservative. It was not a style from my time, and as I glanced around at the boisterous mob of people around me, I realized they too, were plainly clad in dark colors atop thick materials from neck to toe--even in such heat. 

Sweat poured from my brow and I thought I desired a fan--perhaps a connection to the times drawn by my subconscious. I could see, however, that there would be no fan. These people were not concerned with the weather, it was imaginable that they never were. Next to me, a couple stood arguing; the dangers of being seen in such a rally would ruin them, but the man wanted to stay--it was his fight. He wore a simple suit, and a brimmed hat, which he tipped respectfully before following his wife. The men and women around us scoffed at the unyielding woman, some so much as taunting her, but when she turned to glare at them, an uneasy silence settled over the unruly crowd and the man was forgotten.

Contrary to their puritanical modesty but matching their passionate outbursts, was the familiar glow of their purple skin. Once associated with royalty, the color lent power to the plain garb--set a spark amongst the otherwise life-less crowd. The woman in front was a soft purple, almost lavender, which conflicted with the stony expression upon her face. Nothing about her appeared soft or gentle as her arms mimicked the cadence of her words. It was as I listened to her speak that I noticed the hard, worn look on the faces of my fellow Purples. Over looked and underpaid, they stood in awe of the Purple woman who dared to speak against their voiceless predicament. Only a few faces in the audience were not purple--Grays perhaps supportive, more than likely astounded by her propositions.

"I declare to you that Purples must not depend upon the protection of Grays, but must be taught to protect themselves, and there I take my stand." The crowd roared behind her, as a vague understanding began to settle over me.

"Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputation and social standing, never can bring about a reform. Those who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or nothing in the world's estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathy with despised and persecuted ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences..."

Why does that sound so familiar? I thought as the people around me began to fade and blur in to a sea of purple flowers. A name was tugging at the back of my mind, the letter A flashed in my eyes before disappearing into the depth of my purple.

Delicate and Strong
Stars rising above me
Courage racing toward eyes
Enveloping still water
And deep down searching
For mountains to climb
Violets stretching the distance
Beauty covers
Purple
Covers beauty
Distance, the stretching violets
Climb to mountains for
Searching deep down and
Water still enveloping
Eyes toward racing courage
Me above rising stars
Strong and delicate



This morning when I awoke, the my own purple was trembling in my eyes. The Grays, though they'd lost the kind of power over us they'd had in my dream, were still a dominant force in today's society... If I chose this purple forever, would they always hold power over me?

I tossed and turned, as though my actions would scare away the colors swirling in my mind and allow me some peace. My alarm had other plans, however. and its incessant wailing brought my eyes open. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, and I was officially a senior in high school.
Shiree Hughes
Eillya-Marí Kocumba

I love to write. Sometimes its graceful and classic--like a trapeze act--or bold and brave--like a lion tamer--perhaps a little humorous--like a clown. This is my circus of words.

Right now, my blog is mostly poetry (which naturally covers a wide range of topics). Everyone says great blogs have a niche, a specific topic they hone in to write about. I'm still working that out, I guess. In the mean time, you can use the menu in archive page to narrow down the topics you wish to see.

Welcome to the site. Feel free to comment and I hope you enjoy.

categories

30 before 30 A for Active Listening ABCs of Improvement About Me Acrostic Poetry Anger AnimalActs Animals Art Awareness BHM 2017 BHM2016 Black Greek Letter Organizations Black History Black History Month Challenge BlackConcepts Book Review Browse By Topic Business and Entrepenuership Celebrations Challenges Children and Innocence Christmas Clarity Pyramid Poetry Code Poetry Colors Comfort Compound Word Verse Poetry Computer Nerd Concrete Poetry Curiosity Deceit Decisions Dreams Education End of Days Etheree Poetry Faith and Belief Family Fantasy Fear and Horror Fire Flash Fiction Flying FlyingTrapeze Food Food For Thought Forgiveness Friendship Girl Talk Greed Haiku Poetry Hair Halloween He Is Risen Health Holidays Ideas Image Issues of Today Jewelry Judging JugglingClowns Katauta Poetry Kyrielle Poetry Lauranelle Poetry Legends Myths and Folklore Legends of Africa Love March of Dimes More on Poetry Movies and Shows Music Nature Nostalgia Nove Otto Poetry Oasis Octain Poetry Ode Opinion Ottava Rima Poetry Palindrome Poetry Peace People Perseverance Personality Traits Pirates Politics Preview Pride Race in America Religion/Theology Ring 1: Poetry Ring 2: Prose Ring 3: Blog Rondelet Poetry SciFi Season 1 Sedoka Poetry Self-Worth/Inner-Strength Short Story Simple Rhyme Sorrow Sports Stars Sunday vs. Sabbath Teasers Time Tribute Trinet Poetry Triquain Poetry Unity Untitled Book 1 Untitled Book 2 Villanelle Poetry Water Whispers of War Words of Wisdom World AIDS Day Wrapped Refrain Poetry Writing Issues