Children are the Future


Children see the entire world in a different way than adults. The innocence of discovery is something we all enjoyed. I often wonder, had people not interjected certain ideas into my mind at certain times, where would my childlike mind had lead me? So here's to nostalgia, to innocence, and the people that will become our future.


An Apple A Day


Living a healthy life is important, and many people take their concerns with eating right or losing weight to unhealthy extremes. This month, I'll be talking about eating habits, sharing some of my favorite recipes, and focusing on healthy choices.

Legends of Africa


One thing I've noticed during my years attending predominately white schools and having circles of friends that are more diverse, is that the major factor in racism and prejudice is ignorance. There is a lot about black culture that many non-blacks just don't know. Often this lack of awareness rears its head in the form of ignorant assumptions and awkward questions. The Legends of Africa series touches on topics that may be extremely familiar to blacks, but may not be familiar to non-blacks.

Religion & Theology


I've always been interested in Religion & Theology. As I child, I questioned everything. I wanted to know why this denomination was different from that denomination. I wanted to know how Christianity differed from Islam, and how they differed from Buddhism, etc. I found that as I studied with the faith of a believer and the open mind of scientist, the world of religion started to make more sense and I was able to form beliefs that I don't question. April 2015 is dedicated to my journey to those beliefs.

Circus of Words Standards: Achieving Academically

Monday, September 23, 2013

Standards: Achieving Academically

Standards: Achieving Academically

Often when discussing things, specifically education, and I have a different view, the phrase "but you don't count" comes up.  People are quick to say "but you're smart" and I wonder, does that mean they think they're dumb? Not only is that a bad way to view yourself, but its also contradicting if my argument is that you are no smarter or dumber than anyone else and can pass your classes just like everyone else...

Let's step back a second. At Clemson, there's always this thing about Black students having a hard time keeping a good GPA (good being defined as greater than or equal to a 3.0). People have forums and initiatives, programs and everything else to combat this. While I think the programs are good programs, I don't think that "Black students" have a hard time keeping a good GPA at Clemson, I think students from certain schools have a hard time keeping a good GPA. These school might have large Black populations, they may have large White populations; at the end of the day, all schools do not afford the same secondary education (which is a travesty and a topic for another post). Just in my hometown, I know we were taught topics in school that were not taught at other schools in my county. Educational opportunities and money tend to go hand in hand, so I'm more apt to believe there's a correlation between socio-economics and GPA than skin color and GPA. Which means there is no reason for America to be "dumber" than China (or Japan, or England, or anywhere else), and definitely there is no reason (except blatant racism) for Black students to have a harder time getting a 3.0 than White students. I'm not going to say racism doesn't happen (how to handle racism in academia may be a topic for another post as well), but I will say that since none of the people whom I've had these conversations with have ever suggested racism and admit to not knowing/understanding the material: it's safe to assume that isn't the cause.


My point of the day is that perspective has much more to do with academic achievement in America (for both Black and White students). You see, my Asian friends expect to get a A, their parents expect them to get an A, and their friends expect them to get an A. Intelligence is cool for them. For us, it's a death sentence in your social reputation for you to be smart (don't mess around and get the highest grade in a class--we all know how people feel about the person who throws off the curve). It's not cool to be the smart kid in America--it's not valuable either. You can get a full ride plus perks to college because you're an all star athlete but you can't get that kind of money as an honor student.

Perspective. Mentality. They make a difference.

I've heard so many arguments--excuses--for poor academic performance and they drive me up the wall. When discussing the low numbers of membership in NPHC organizations on campus, someone concluded that it was hard for Black students to maintain the set GPA (at the time it was 2.5, now it's 2.7) and we shouldn't have to. My question was, does it inspire anyone to make a higher GPA to allow them to do what they want with a low GPA? What's your motivation to get a 2.7 or a 3.0 or even better if you can join your chosen organization with a 2.0? And everyone looks at me like O_O. I'm the bad guy for saying if you don't have a decent GPA you have no business pledging an organization. People counter with "just because they have a low GPA doesn't make them a bad person, they may have other strong qualities." Well, I'm almost certain they do; I'm not inferring that having a low GPA makes you a bad person. I'm stating that if you have a low GPA you are struggling in your primary purpose for being in school--learning. Adding extracurricular activities to your schedule is not going to help you improve your learning. So someone counters with "well you don't know what they were going through." No, I don't, but I don't think pledging an organization is going to make whatever they were going through disappear. I also think it's going to bring on more problems and responsibilities if anything--so you want to give them more to deal with?

Mentality!

We are so quick to excuse underachievement. We pass it off as being Black or "going through something." These same people will tell me I achieved because "I'm just smart" or "I'm a genius." I'm not a genius; I did the work, I prioritized my education first, I expect to do more than just pass my classes. I didn't cheat, as seems to be a popular method and conversation--really? Who admits to cheating out loud!? Then have the nerve to say it's a Black struggle? No ma'am. No sir.

Before you excuse your lack of performance or say someone else is "smarter", please ask yourself, where is your standard set? Did you go into the class hoping for a C and come out with a D? Then maybe you should have gone in with A mentality, because you might have gotten a B and best case you get an A. Did you settle for a mediocre GPA to join other organizations, go out an party when you knew you had a test coming up? Did you tell your friends their expectations were good, or did you offer to study with them and tell them you know they can do better?

Before you call me judgmental which implies my expectations are too high, tell me are you saying you can't achieve high standards?

Let's reevaluate our mentality on  setting and following through with high standards (not just academically).
Shiree Hughes
Eillya-Marí Kocumba

I love to write. Sometimes its graceful and classic--like a trapeze act--or bold and brave--like a lion tamer--perhaps a little humorous--like a clown. This is my circus of words.

Right now, my blog is mostly poetry (which naturally covers a wide range of topics). Everyone says great blogs have a niche, a specific topic they hone in to write about. I'm still working that out, I guess. In the mean time, you can use the menu in archive page to narrow down the topics you wish to see.

Welcome to the site. Feel free to comment and I hope you enjoy.

categories

30 before 30 A for Active Listening ABCs of Improvement About Me Acrostic Poetry Anger AnimalActs Animals Art Awareness BHM 2017 BHM2016 Black Greek Letter Organizations Black History Black History Month Challenge BlackConcepts Book Review Browse By Topic Business and Entrepenuership Celebrations Challenges Children and Innocence Christmas Clarity Pyramid Poetry Code Poetry Colors Comfort Compound Word Verse Poetry Computer Nerd Concrete Poetry Curiosity Deceit Decisions Dreams Education End of Days Etheree Poetry Faith and Belief Family Fantasy Fear and Horror Fire Flash Fiction Flying FlyingTrapeze Food Food For Thought Forgiveness Friendship Girl Talk Greed Haiku Poetry Hair Halloween He Is Risen Health Holidays Ideas Image Issues of Today Jewelry Judging JugglingClowns Katauta Poetry Kyrielle Poetry Lauranelle Poetry Legends Myths and Folklore Legends of Africa Love March of Dimes More on Poetry Movies and Shows Music Nature Nostalgia Nove Otto Poetry Oasis Octain Poetry Ode Opinion Ottava Rima Poetry Palindrome Poetry Peace People Perseverance Personality Traits Pirates Politics Preview Pride Race in America Religion/Theology Ring 1: Poetry Ring 2: Prose Ring 3: Blog Rondelet Poetry SciFi Season 1 Sedoka Poetry Self-Worth/Inner-Strength Short Story Simple Rhyme Sorrow Sports Stars Sunday vs. Sabbath Teasers Time Tribute Trinet Poetry Triquain Poetry Unity Untitled Book 1 Untitled Book 2 Villanelle Poetry Water Whispers of War Words of Wisdom World AIDS Day Wrapped Refrain Poetry Writing Issues