Children are the Future


Children see the entire world in a different way than adults. The innocence of discovery is something we all enjoyed. I often wonder, had people not interjected certain ideas into my mind at certain times, where would my childlike mind had lead me? So here's to nostalgia, to innocence, and the people that will become our future.


An Apple A Day


Living a healthy life is important, and many people take their concerns with eating right or losing weight to unhealthy extremes. This month, I'll be talking about eating habits, sharing some of my favorite recipes, and focusing on healthy choices.

Legends of Africa


One thing I've noticed during my years attending predominately white schools and having circles of friends that are more diverse, is that the major factor in racism and prejudice is ignorance. There is a lot about black culture that many non-blacks just don't know. Often this lack of awareness rears its head in the form of ignorant assumptions and awkward questions. The Legends of Africa series touches on topics that may be extremely familiar to blacks, but may not be familiar to non-blacks.

Religion & Theology


I've always been interested in Religion & Theology. As I child, I questioned everything. I wanted to know why this denomination was different from that denomination. I wanted to know how Christianity differed from Islam, and how they differed from Buddhism, etc. I found that as I studied with the faith of a believer and the open mind of scientist, the world of religion started to make more sense and I was able to form beliefs that I don't question. April 2015 is dedicated to my journey to those beliefs.

Circus of Words Are You A Feminist?

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Are You A Feminist?

Are You A Feminist?

It's a question I've been asked multiple times within the last 12 months. Until the first person asked me, I hadn't actually thought about it. Obviously, as a woman in a PhD program, I have to subscribe to some degree of feminism. Of course, in a lot of regards, my actions are old fashioned--I don't ask guys on dates (not first dates at least), I wouldn't ask a guy to marry me, and I am a die-hard fan of chivalry. Which made me question whether I was a feminist or just a girl living in a man's world.

Perhaps it's the creeping of age, and the on-set of the "when are you going to get married and have kids" comments that pushed me to explore where I stand. Or maybe its simply not wanting to sound like an idiot the next time someone asks am I a feminist...

Not long ago, when I decided to move it really hit me where most people think a woman's place is. Many people--men, particularly--seemed to think that my decision to leave should have been dependent on some guy. Conversations went something like:

Conversation A

guy: "You must not have a boyfriend."
me: "What makes you say that?"
guy: "You decided to leave."

Conversation B

guy: "You'd go all the way to Florida?"
me: "Florida's not that far. Most CS jobs are in Cali anyway."
guy: "You'd take a job in Cali?"
me: "Yeah."
guy: "Even if you were dating someone here?"

The idea that my entire world should revolve around a guy who may or may not be here next week really ticked me off. Who in their right mind thinks a girl in a PhD program--who has been working toward a PhD for 4 years--is going to quit because "Prince Charming" bats his eyelashes? In my later years of grad school, many of the guys I've had conversations with still hold the belief that as a woman I should be contented to get married and have kids; the idea that I actually want my PhD and care whether my job is crap or not is completely befuddling to them. Yet, when speaking with men studying to earn their PhD, it became obvious that they felt if they brought in the bulk of the money, they got to make the decisions. You expect me to give up my chance to afford the lifestyle I want for a man who may or may not give me the lifestyle I want? You expect me to make life decisions based on a boyfriend? A fiancé, or a husband, I can understand, you've both committed to staying with each other for better or worse (theoretically), but a boyfriend who may dump you whenever it strikes his fancy? Well...that explains why I don't date often; no way I'm giving up my beach house and corvette for a maybe. I don't exist solely to please some man. Sure, if and when I get married compromises will have to be made, but any man who thinks his ambitions automatically trump mine is not worth my time. 

I know women who think the housewife life is great--it's what they want--and that's fine. Each person should be free to do what they choose. Perhaps this makes me a feminist.  There are a lot of topics people associate with feminism: the right to wear what you want, the end of slut shaming, equal pay, etc. Though I believe in standards (which I accept that everyone will and should have different standards), I don't believe in double standards. Perhaps this also makes me a feminist. 

Feminism, as my proud feminist friends tell me, is about the right to be whomever you choose regardless of your gender. I'm totally down with that.

So, are you a feminist? Why or why not?
Ree Hughes
Eillya-Marí Kocumba

I love to write. Sometimes its graceful and classic--like a trapeze act--or bold and brave--like a lion tamer--perhaps a little humorous--like a clown. This is my circus of words.

Right now, my blog is mostly poetry (which naturally covers a wide range of topics). Everyone says great blogs have a niche, a specific topic they hone in to write about. I'm still working that out, I guess. In the mean time, you can use the menu in archive page to narrow down the topics you wish to see.

Welcome to the site. Feel free to comment and I hope you enjoy.

categories

30 before 30 A for Active Listening ABCs of Improvement About Me Acrostic Poetry Anger AnimalActs Animals Art Awareness BHM 2017 BHM2016 Black Greek Letter Organizations Black History Black History Month Challenge BlackConcepts Book Review Browse By Topic Business and Entrepenuership Celebrations Challenges Children and Innocence Christmas Clarity Pyramid Poetry Code Poetry Colors Comfort Compound Word Verse Poetry Computer Nerd Concrete Poetry Curiosity Deceit Decisions Dreams Education End of Days Etheree Poetry Faith and Belief Family Fantasy Fear and Horror Fire Flash Fiction Flying FlyingTrapeze Food Food For Thought Forgiveness Friendship Girl Talk Greed Haiku Poetry Hair Halloween He Is Risen Health Holidays Ideas Image Issues of Today Jewelry Judging JugglingClowns Katauta Poetry Kyrielle Poetry Lauranelle Poetry Legends Myths and Folklore Legends of Africa Love March of Dimes More on Poetry Movies and Shows Music Nature Nostalgia Nove Otto Poetry Oasis Octain Poetry Ode Opinion Ottava Rima Poetry Palindrome Poetry Peace People Perseverance Personality Traits Pirates Politics Preview Pride Race in America Religion/Theology Ring 1: Poetry Ring 2: Prose Ring 3: Blog Rondelet Poetry SciFi Season 1 Sedoka Poetry Self-Worth/Inner-Strength Short Story Simple Rhyme Sorrow Sports Stars Sunday vs. Sabbath Teasers Time Tribute Trinet Poetry Triquain Poetry Unity Untitled Book 1 Untitled Book 2 Villanelle Poetry Water Whispers of War Words of Wisdom World AIDS Day Wrapped Refrain Poetry Writing Issues