Children are the Future


Children see the entire world in a different way than adults. The innocence of discovery is something we all enjoyed. I often wonder, had people not interjected certain ideas into my mind at certain times, where would my childlike mind had lead me? So here's to nostalgia, to innocence, and the people that will become our future.


An Apple A Day


Living a healthy life is important, and many people take their concerns with eating right or losing weight to unhealthy extremes. This month, I'll be talking about eating habits, sharing some of my favorite recipes, and focusing on healthy choices.

Legends of Africa


One thing I've noticed during my years attending predominately white schools and having circles of friends that are more diverse, is that the major factor in racism and prejudice is ignorance. There is a lot about black culture that many non-blacks just don't know. Often this lack of awareness rears its head in the form of ignorant assumptions and awkward questions. The Legends of Africa series touches on topics that may be extremely familiar to blacks, but may not be familiar to non-blacks.

Religion & Theology


I've always been interested in Religion & Theology. As I child, I questioned everything. I wanted to know why this denomination was different from that denomination. I wanted to know how Christianity differed from Islam, and how they differed from Buddhism, etc. I found that as I studied with the faith of a believer and the open mind of scientist, the world of religion started to make more sense and I was able to form beliefs that I don't question. April 2015 is dedicated to my journey to those beliefs.

Circus of Words Belief and Religion: An undefinable and strange relationship

Monday, January 07, 2013

Belief and Religion: An undefinable and strange relationship

Belief and Religion: An undefinable and strange relationship

Earlier, I wrote a post about the difference in being spiritual and being religious. I took the post down before I publicized the blog because it discussed a particular event involving a particular person and while I didn't use their name, I think that they (and any one who knows them) would know I was talking about them. I didn't want that. So I'm going to try this from a different angle.

One of my most frequent sayings, though not particularly nice, is that you don't have to tell someone you're pretty (or handsome). I feel this way about most traits people exhibit. You don't have to tell me you're smart or nice or honest... If you are in fact these things, it will show through your actions. The same is true for those on a spiritual journey; you don't have to wear an I <3 Jesus shirt everyday to inform the world that you know Him.

I think for me the most annoying statement people make is "he/she/I go to church every Sunday" in a context where they are validating their spirituality or righteousness. My first thought is so what? What do you do Monday through Saturday? Better yet, what do you do Sunday after church? Deeper question, why are you celebrating the Sabbath the way you do on the day you do? Many will quote the 4th commandment--well maybe you'll quote the 3rd commandment if you're Catholic (hmm... even deeper question did you know Protestants and Catholics have a slightly different set of commandments? #FoodForThought--don't take my word for it, add it to your to do list). But the Bible says "remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thy work: But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God; in it thou shalt not do any work..." (Exodus 20:8-10 KJV) and "And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the Lord thy God brought thee out thence through a might hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the Lord thy God commanded thee to keep the Sabbath." (Deuteronomy 5:15 KJV). No where does it say anything about Sunday and no where does it say anything about a church. My question is, if you must validate your worship with words instead of actions, can you demonstrate knowledge instead of presence? I mean, in all honesty, when I was a kid I use to color in church--I was there though!


Many people are religious. They go to church on Sundays, they attend Bible study on Wednesday, maybe they teach the youth programs, maybe they're in the choir. They don't use profane language, or listen to vulgar music. Some of them won't associate with people they consider "ungodly" or enter places they consider "ungodly" (like the club). The question is, can you differentiate a religious practice--a man made tradition--from a spiritual necessity?

It took me a long time to realize that when people claim to be Christian (or Jewish, or Muslim, etc) we associate both spiritual belief and religious practice to the term. However they are not equivalent. (Pardon the math major in me but) You can't say a person believes if and only if they practice religious traditions. (For my non math-majors) The use of if and only if ensures that the statements are equivalent and thus if one holds true, the other must be true as well. In this case that would mean a person who practices religious traditions must be a believer and a believer must practice religious traditions. Well, there are no shortages of hypocrites to prove that the first statement may not be true (and let's not forget that Pharisees and Sadducees of the bible who were keepers of religious tradition but never saw eye-to-eye with Jesus...). Furthermore, the guy that Jesus saved while hanging on the cross was clearly not a religious man, which disproves the second statement.

I consider myself to be a believer and highly spiritual. At times I wonder why I didn't go to school for theology and history. I think I could easily write a dissertation in that field (no idea what I'd do next though). On the note of religious tradition, however, I'm not necessarily a fan. Many of my concerns with various religious traditions will appear eventually in the blog.

So how do I answer the question "what's your religion?" especially when religion, to me, refers to prescribed traditions not necessarily belief? I took Intro to Religion my freshman year in undergrad and was shocked to find that class took a very strange course I didn't quite understand until almost 6 years later. It helped open my eyes to the difference between spiritual and religious. Well, generally I just say I'm Christian, but on a technical level, I guess we haven't quite come to a phrase that fully expresses what I believe.
Shiree Hughes
Eillya-Marí Kocumba

I love to write. Sometimes its graceful and classic--like a trapeze act--or bold and brave--like a lion tamer--perhaps a little humorous--like a clown. This is my circus of words.

Right now, my blog is mostly poetry (which naturally covers a wide range of topics). Everyone says great blogs have a niche, a specific topic they hone in to write about. I'm still working that out, I guess. In the mean time, you can use the menu in archive page to narrow down the topics you wish to see.

Welcome to the site. Feel free to comment and I hope you enjoy.

categories

30 before 30 A for Active Listening ABCs of Improvement About Me Acrostic Poetry Anger AnimalActs Animals Art Awareness BHM 2017 BHM2016 Black Greek Letter Organizations Black History Black History Month Challenge BlackConcepts Book Review Browse By Topic Business and Entrepenuership Celebrations Challenges Children and Innocence Christmas Clarity Pyramid Poetry Code Poetry Colors Comfort Compound Word Verse Poetry Computer Nerd Concrete Poetry Curiosity Deceit Decisions Dreams Education End of Days Etheree Poetry Faith and Belief Family Fantasy Fear and Horror Fire Flash Fiction Flying FlyingTrapeze Food Food For Thought Forgiveness Friendship Girl Talk Greed Haiku Poetry Hair Halloween He Is Risen Health Holidays Ideas Image Issues of Today Jewelry Judging JugglingClowns Katauta Poetry Kyrielle Poetry Lauranelle Poetry Legends Myths and Folklore Legends of Africa Love March of Dimes More on Poetry Movies and Shows Music Nature Nostalgia Nove Otto Poetry Oasis Octain Poetry Ode Opinion Ottava Rima Poetry Palindrome Poetry Peace People Perseverance Personality Traits Pirates Politics Preview Pride Race in America Religion/Theology Ring 1: Poetry Ring 2: Prose Ring 3: Blog Rondelet Poetry SciFi Season 1 Sedoka Poetry Self-Worth/Inner-Strength Short Story Simple Rhyme Sorrow Sports Stars Sunday vs. Sabbath Teasers Time Tribute Trinet Poetry Triquain Poetry Unity Untitled Book 1 Untitled Book 2 Villanelle Poetry Water Whispers of War Words of Wisdom World AIDS Day Wrapped Refrain Poetry Writing Issues