Children are the Future


Children see the entire world in a different way than adults. The innocence of discovery is something we all enjoyed. I often wonder, had people not interjected certain ideas into my mind at certain times, where would my childlike mind had lead me? So here's to nostalgia, to innocence, and the people that will become our future.


An Apple A Day


Living a healthy life is important, and many people take their concerns with eating right or losing weight to unhealthy extremes. This month, I'll be talking about eating habits, sharing some of my favorite recipes, and focusing on healthy choices.

Legends of Africa


One thing I've noticed during my years attending predominately white schools and having circles of friends that are more diverse, is that the major factor in racism and prejudice is ignorance. There is a lot about black culture that many non-blacks just don't know. Often this lack of awareness rears its head in the form of ignorant assumptions and awkward questions. The Legends of Africa series touches on topics that may be extremely familiar to blacks, but may not be familiar to non-blacks.

Religion & Theology


I've always been interested in Religion & Theology. As I child, I questioned everything. I wanted to know why this denomination was different from that denomination. I wanted to know how Christianity differed from Islam, and how they differed from Buddhism, etc. I found that as I studied with the faith of a believer and the open mind of scientist, the world of religion started to make more sense and I was able to form beliefs that I don't question. April 2015 is dedicated to my journey to those beliefs.

Circus of Words The Black Identity

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The Black Identity

The Black Identity

Yesterday, I began a discussion on the differentiation of the labels "Black" and "African-American," in the post called "Why Don't You Call Yourself African-American?"  The instant I clicked publish, I wondered if people would be angry (like people were with Raven-Symoné), if people would agree, or if people would even read the post--though I surmise that last one is a thought every blogger has at some point.

I was overjoyed when so many of my friends responded to the post and an actual discussion took place. The most beautiful thing, is that we all have unique ideas and experiences that makes us feel differently about any and every topic I could come up with. These differences are what make us individuals.

The conversation among my friends on yesterday's post easily morphed into a discussion on identity, when a friend posited that "Black" was not a label but an identity. As I read the comment I couldn't help but smile, it was well stated, proud, and uplifting. It was the kind of thing I imagine hearing as a rallying cry. However, it drew me back to the same point I always find myself coming back to. What does that mean? Another friend added the words "Black Culture" to the conversation. Again, what does that mean? So I wanted to continue the conversation and I wanted to discuss two main concepts--identity and "Black Culture"--individually and then together.

Identity

The definition of identity, as given by Merriam-Webster's Dictionary, is as follows: "who someone is; the name of a person; the qualities, beliefs, etc., that make a particular person or group different from others" [1].  Essentially, your identity is who you are as a person. Your identity is, as my friend pointed out, something you define and as the definition says, tells the world something about you.

Black Culture

What is "Black Culture?" What does it mean to be "Black?" There is nothing that can be defined that all black people share other than our African roots. Our ancestors, however, weren't necessarily from the same tribes or countries. I shared a classroom with another black girl on and off throughout high school, and while I will run out of fingers recounting the racist and/or microaggressive comments and experiences I dealt with in high school, she asserts that she's never witnessed or been a victim of racism. I grew up on a farm, was introduced to Bach and Beethoven around the age of four, but I didn't know who 2Pac was until after he was dead. As I walk around campus, I see many black faces, but they are not speaking English; I don't understand the language they speak, I can't even identify the language they speak. I would say what we share is the fear that our fathers, uncles, brothers, and sons won't come home because they've been shot, but we don't even all agree on that. I would say that we share a phenotype, but as a friend pointed out, there are people who identify as "Black" that don't look black by society's definition of black. To try to define what it means to be "Black" or what "Black Culture" is, is to generalize. These generalizations bring forth the hated (by me at least) phrases "acting black" and "acting white."

The Black Identity

If I say to you, "I am a black person," what does that mean? What does that tell you about me? Does it tell you the shade of my skin? The color of my eyes? The texture of my hair? Does it tell you my favorite genre of music? Something about my spirituality or beliefs? Does it tell you what types of books I like to read or what I want to do with my life? If you don't know me (which some of you don't) and you try to answer any of the above questions based on the statement "I am a black person" you are stereotyping me. This is exactly what happens to young men like Trayvon Martin--instead of seeing Trayvon Martin, a youth walking in the neighborhood, George Zimmerman saw a black man in a hoodie. He applied his own definition to the identity of black and that definition was thug, hoodlum, troublemaker.

I can decide what I think it means to be "Black" and I can choose to identify as "Black" (which I do). I can actually choose to identify as "White" if I want; no one will stop me. But when I walk outside, other people will identify me as black (or not black surprisingly) based on their definition of what they think black means. I have no control over this.

I asked the question: Do you identify as "Black" or African-American? Most people said "Black," though a few said both. There's only one box. Just as these two options share a box, they share the same definition in my white peers' minds. This is why I consider both a label; neither can assure accuracy in anything you assume about me.  This is why I entitled the poem from yesterday's post "A Slave to Being Black." I have no choice in how the world identifies me. This is why I said when the labels are not the forefront of the picture, when I become a person who happens to be of brown complexion with slave and African ancestry, instead of a "Black" person, we will see an end to racism.
Ree Hughes
Eillya-Marí Kocumba

I love to write. Sometimes its graceful and classic--like a trapeze act--or bold and brave--like a lion tamer--perhaps a little humorous--like a clown. This is my circus of words.

Right now, my blog is mostly poetry (which naturally covers a wide range of topics). Everyone says great blogs have a niche, a specific topic they hone in to write about. I'm still working that out, I guess. In the mean time, you can use the menu in archive page to narrow down the topics you wish to see.

Welcome to the site. Feel free to comment and I hope you enjoy.

categories

30 before 30 A for Active Listening ABCs of Improvement About Me Acrostic Poetry Anger AnimalActs Animals Art Awareness BHM 2017 BHM2016 Black Greek Letter Organizations Black History Black History Month Challenge BlackConcepts Book Review Browse By Topic Business and Entrepenuership Celebrations Challenges Children and Innocence Christmas Clarity Pyramid Poetry Code Poetry Colors Comfort Compound Word Verse Poetry Computer Nerd Concrete Poetry Curiosity Deceit Decisions Dreams Education End of Days Etheree Poetry Faith and Belief Family Fantasy Fear and Horror Fire Flash Fiction Flying FlyingTrapeze Food Food For Thought Forgiveness Friendship Girl Talk Greed Haiku Poetry Hair Halloween He Is Risen Health Holidays Ideas Image Issues of Today Jewelry Judging JugglingClowns Katauta Poetry Kyrielle Poetry Lauranelle Poetry Legends Myths and Folklore Legends of Africa Love March of Dimes More on Poetry Movies and Shows Music Nature Nostalgia Nove Otto Poetry Oasis Octain Poetry Ode Opinion Ottava Rima Poetry Palindrome Poetry Peace People Perseverance Personality Traits Pirates Politics Preview Pride Race in America Religion/Theology Ring 1: Poetry Ring 2: Prose Ring 3: Blog Rondelet Poetry SciFi Season 1 Sedoka Poetry Self-Worth/Inner-Strength Short Story Simple Rhyme Sorrow Sports Stars Sunday vs. Sabbath Teasers Time Tribute Trinet Poetry Triquain Poetry Unity Untitled Book 1 Untitled Book 2 Villanelle Poetry Water Whispers of War Words of Wisdom World AIDS Day Wrapped Refrain Poetry Writing Issues