Children are the Future


Children see the entire world in a different way than adults. The innocence of discovery is something we all enjoyed. I often wonder, had people not interjected certain ideas into my mind at certain times, where would my childlike mind had lead me? So here's to nostalgia, to innocence, and the people that will become our future.


An Apple A Day


Living a healthy life is important, and many people take their concerns with eating right or losing weight to unhealthy extremes. This month, I'll be talking about eating habits, sharing some of my favorite recipes, and focusing on healthy choices.

Legends of Africa


One thing I've noticed during my years attending predominately white schools and having circles of friends that are more diverse, is that the major factor in racism and prejudice is ignorance. There is a lot about black culture that many non-blacks just don't know. Often this lack of awareness rears its head in the form of ignorant assumptions and awkward questions. The Legends of Africa series touches on topics that may be extremely familiar to blacks, but may not be familiar to non-blacks.

Religion & Theology


I've always been interested in Religion & Theology. As I child, I questioned everything. I wanted to know why this denomination was different from that denomination. I wanted to know how Christianity differed from Islam, and how they differed from Buddhism, etc. I found that as I studied with the faith of a believer and the open mind of scientist, the world of religion started to make more sense and I was able to form beliefs that I don't question. April 2015 is dedicated to my journey to those beliefs.

Circus of Words The New Challenge

Sunday, February 01, 2015

The New Challenge

The New Challenge

If you've read my post entitled, The Successful Blog, you may have guessed that one of the things I struggle with is the wide range of topics I dabble in. Most blogs are on a specific topic: fashion, religion, hair, healthy living, etc. My blog is mostly poetry, and thus covers a wide range of topics. It is difficult to market my blog as one specific thing because it is an extension of me and I am not one specific thing.

Earlier today, as I was browsing blogs, I came across a blog called Review and Analysis. The author of this blog, has outlined a different theme in which each of her posts that month will relate. I thought this was a great idea for a new challenge. I usually just write about whatever is on my mind at the time, giving myself a set topic each month will be like a writing exercise. Also, this will give readers a chance to be on the look out for topics that interest them specifically and help me to be less scatterbrained.

Themes for Each Month

February: Legends of Africa  

A continuation of the Black History Month Challenge from 2014. This year expect to see more on legends, myths, and folk tales from Black culture.

March: March of Dimes

Children are the future, and March will be a celebration of the children. Also, since March of Dimes has always been near and dear to my heart, expect to find information on prematurity awareness, from how to help those that are born premature to how to avoid premature babies, as well. 

April: He is Risen

God is an important aspect of my life and April will be dedicated to Him, faith, spirituality, and religion. If you've read any of my previous posts on religion, you know this month might get touchy for some, but I'll be exploring all types of religions, countering a few popular beliefs, and otherwise throwing out food for thought.

May: An Apple a Day

I've never been a fan of the health food craze, calorie counting, or exercising, but I also manage to lead a fairly healthy life style. I'll share some recipes, tips on staying in-tune with your body's needs, and life hacks for "lazy" exercising.

June: I Love My Kinks and Curls

Dedicated to all my naturally kinky and curly haired readers! From regimens, styles, and products to emotions and reactions, I love talking about hair. If you're thinking about going natural, feeling shy about your curls, proud of your curls, or just curious, this will be a month for you.

July: Dreams Do Come True

I have the strangest dreams. Some of them become real dreams (things I want to happen), others become stories, and some just make for a good story. July will be all about how dreams effect us, following our dreams, what our dreams mean, and maybe I'll share some of my most memorable dreams.

August: How to be Happy

Sometimes we just need some positivity in our lives. August will be all about happiness, things that bring happiness, and how to increase your happiness.

September: A Rainbow of Color

I relate almost everything to color. In school my binders were always color coordinated--red for math, blue for english. We see color everyday and each color means something different to each person. I'll take the month of September to appreciate and explore the beauty of each color.

October: Book Worm

What kind of writer would I be if I didn't read? In October I'll be sharing some of my favorite books. I'll probably share some of my favorite blogs as well.

November: Give Thanks

Thanksgiving is often overlooked as a holiday, but I think it's important to remember the blessing you have. It's easy to lose sight of the good amongst the bad, but this November I'm going to keep it positive with a month of thanksgiving.

December: It's Not Real...Yet

Over-active imagination is an accurate description of me. Fantasy and Sci-Fi are my favorite genres for movies, books, art, and of course writing. We'll see how crazy my imagination gets when December comes.

January: One World

Why not end the challenge with posts on unity? January will focus on the beauty of diversity and appreciating your fellow man. I'll take a look at differences and similarities across the globe, and just down the street.

Ree Hughes
Eillya-Marí Kocumba

I love to write. Sometimes its graceful and classic--like a trapeze act--or bold and brave--like a lion tamer--perhaps a little humorous--like a clown. This is my circus of words.

Right now, my blog is mostly poetry (which naturally covers a wide range of topics). Everyone says great blogs have a niche, a specific topic they hone in to write about. I'm still working that out, I guess. In the mean time, you can use the menu in archive page to narrow down the topics you wish to see.

Welcome to the site. Feel free to comment and I hope you enjoy.

categories

30 before 30 A for Active Listening ABCs of Improvement About Me Acrostic Poetry Anger AnimalActs Animals Art Awareness BHM 2017 BHM2016 Black Greek Letter Organizations Black History Black History Month Challenge BlackConcepts Book Review Browse By Topic Business and Entrepenuership Celebrations Challenges Children and Innocence Christmas Clarity Pyramid Poetry Code Poetry Colors Comfort Compound Word Verse Poetry Computer Nerd Concrete Poetry Curiosity Deceit Decisions Dreams Education End of Days Etheree Poetry Faith and Belief Family Fantasy Fear and Horror Fire Flash Fiction Flying FlyingTrapeze Food Food For Thought Forgiveness Friendship Girl Talk Greed Haiku Poetry Hair Halloween He Is Risen Health Holidays Ideas Image Issues of Today Jewelry Judging JugglingClowns Katauta Poetry Kyrielle Poetry Lauranelle Poetry Legends Myths and Folklore Legends of Africa Love March of Dimes More on Poetry Movies and Shows Music Nature Nostalgia Nove Otto Poetry Oasis Octain Poetry Ode Opinion Ottava Rima Poetry Palindrome Poetry Peace People Perseverance Personality Traits Pirates Politics Preview Pride Race in America Religion/Theology Ring 1: Poetry Ring 2: Prose Ring 3: Blog Rondelet Poetry SciFi Season 1 Sedoka Poetry Self-Worth/Inner-Strength Short Story Simple Rhyme Sorrow Sports Stars Sunday vs. Sabbath Teasers Time Tribute Trinet Poetry Triquain Poetry Unity Untitled Book 1 Untitled Book 2 Villanelle Poetry Water Whispers of War Words of Wisdom World AIDS Day Wrapped Refrain Poetry Writing Issues